Friday, March 2, 2012

Front Cover Drafts

Here are a few of the drafts i did to get to the final front cover and to the chosen masthead.




This is my first rough draft of the image and the masthead. I needed to play around to see which one looked best. I like the main image, there is a lot of space around the tree itself which is useful for putting text. However i don't think i will put that much on the front because most of the magazines i looked at didn't have very much writing. They just had the main cover story. I tried to create good word art by using the 3 legs of man image in the background of the letters, however it was not successful.



I like this one, i think the text is good, however i think the black font is hidden and doesn't stand out as much as i would have liked. I'm not sure whether to have the text written right across the middle of the image because it is big and bold; which is what i want. However it just doesn't seem right. This also doesn't have the actual masthead on.





Another draft with the other image. I need to decide which one to use. I really like both. However this image seems to have a bit too much going on. There is a lot of colour and the text isn't noticeable. Maybe if i chose a different font. But i really wanted to stick with the Christmas theme and use red. I also have the final masthead on.




This is very similar to the other draft, not much has improved or changed. Apart from the colour of the font and i deleted the 'around the island'. I thought i could use green, which is still a Christmas colour. I also used glow around the word art which sort of gives the affect of lights around the text which i really like. I think i will stick with using the glow around which ever colour or style i use.




I have now decided to change my cover story a little. I was struggling to to make the other one look good and interesting. Because just having Christmas lights isn't going to make people want to pick up the magazine. So I've chosen to have an 'Interview' with a very famous local photographer. The main image is taken by him which fits in perfectly. His interview will be about him capturing people getting in the Christmas period which will involve some Christmas lights. I want this magazine to be sophisticated and modern so i really like the font. I also included a little symbol type to show that the image was taken by this 'Photographer'. Also i will just have one main cover story. The Manx tails local magazine that i looked at only had one and think it looks really good. Also I've decided this will be a free magazine.





Again i am trying to decided on what image is better. I think that i have found that the other one fits better. The text gets lost behind this image. I do love this though and will include it in my double page. This is good because there isn't much space around the main focus which is the snowman, however text doesn't look right places on it. So the other image will be my main one.

No comments:

Post a Comment